Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM
K Barrett

Default meaning of Light

We need to accept the knowledge of our new growers and build on
it; rather than fearing the comparison with another group of
plants.
SuE

Great point, Sue! For a long time I've been trying to figure out why
gardners have such a blind spot when it comes to orchids. One would never
attempt to grow corn in one's living room without knowing they have to
provide a myriad of proper conditions for it. Gardeners have no difficulty
placing hosta or clematis or cactus or what have you in the right place in
their yard or house with nothing but the vague directions they get from the
label (like USDA Zone 9). So why are orchids so different or difficult?
Maybe the is where the Home Depotization of orchids becomes a good thing.
Making orchids something more accessable to the gardner and less of a plant
only the select few can grow and enjoy.

Personally, I have trouble growing tomatoes, but I can grow orchids. I
can't keep a jade plant alive in my yard, but I can grow orchids. Go
figure.

Well actually that probably supports my point that these plants are easier
than you think, once they are demystified! LOL!

K Barrett