Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] organic component

Jim Stone wrote:

I've tried the all inorganic route myself and am not a convert. I was hoping
to see phenomenal growth and health as is purported to occur with such mixes as
straight akadama but that did not occur. I was not dissatisfied- everything
grew "fine" but the search for my own personal Holy Grail continues...

snip

What is the best choice for you really depends on several factors all going
back to your case particulars, namely, watering/feed schedule, climate, desired
repotting frequency, etc., etc.,

Jim Stone
Galveston TX

This sums it up nicely, Jim. I have never gone inorganic and don't plan to. For
me, the inorganic route wouldn't be good. Even though I am at home during the day
much more than many people, I don't feel I can expose my trees to that level of
dryness. Sometimes I have to skip a day of watering because I'm away, and with
inorganic soil that would not be possible.

The only plants I keep in totally inorganic soils are succulents and cacti.
Everything else has organic material.

Ok, now the question is going to come up about water retention in bark, which as I
understand is not that great. This is why I am finding that compost is a good
component. It actually retains water.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37