Old 01-07-2004, 05:02 PM
No One

Default Tall Fescue Lawn Question

Chet Hayes wrote:
Steveo wrote in message

On 30 Jun 2004 09:19:27 -0700, "No One"

wrote:

I'm sorry i meant to add seed to the existing lawn not

completely redo
the lawn.

No One wrote:
I read at various places to not put tall fescue seed in a

kentucky
bluegrass lawn. My question is this: I think I have a lawn

filled
with K31 tall fescue. Is ok to reseed it with a newer variety

or
should I stick to K31 for a more uniform appearance?
Thanks.

Why don't put tall fescue with blue grass? I purchase a blend

for
overseeding that has both mixed together. Am I doing something

wrong?

Nope, they sell them blended for seeding. I've used tons..the more

blue
you add, the more it costs. Tall Fescue doesn't spread much..one

seed =
one plant..sorta.

The issue with mixing kentucky blue grass and tall fescue is that as
Peter pointed out, tall fescue is a larger blade grass and grows
faster, tending to crowd out the blue grass. However, there are

newer
varieties of tall fescue like Duster or Montauk, that have finer
blades and are slower growing. Those should be better at blending
with blue grass.

Which brings me back to my original question. Will the old tall fescue
K31 do the same thing to the newer tall fescue? Thanks.