Old 01-07-2004, 06:02 PM
tom hooper

Default tomato wilt

A couple of banana peels and eggshells go under every plant I do, and
the rest go into the compost. They are signicant soil improvers. You
might want to chop up the peel first. I hate waste.

Joanne wrote:

All I know is what I know, or have observed over the past years. I
hardly think that adding a few bananas to the soil (which also
contains compost) is being profoundly wastefull. As I said, my yields
do show a significant difference with 6 bananas added to a 5' x 5'
tomato plot as opposed to none. YMMV but I have to ask if you have
ever tried it? Theory is one thing, research and practice is another,
I know that sounds simple but I read up on a subject and then try it
out as an experiment if it seems viable. I observe and record the
results and my results are so far positive for some added sliced
bananas.

I also tend a very large perennial flower garden with profoundly
dreadful dry soil. Despite all of the compost added over the past
years we could not see an improvement in the soil until this year.
Last fall we dug in banana peels and egg shells. This year we not only
have worms in the soil (a first!) but also the plants are taking off
and taking over. A new problem, but not an unwelcome one.

To me it is always an experiment. I keep track and note the results. I
do the best I can do and keep an open mind. You may disaree with my
practices and suggestions but they are always based on practical
observations over a reasonable period of years.

YMMV
jcm