Old 01-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] organic component

wrote:

Quoting Craig Cowing :

...I don't feel I can expose my trees to that level of dryness.

HA! You're talking to a native NYer now living in TX! There's dry and hot
then there's DRY and HOT. I experience NY August weather from May to October.
It can be humid but we miss most of the rain that Houston gets. I think one
additional issue is the strength of the sun. It definitely eliminates any
added benefits I may get from the humidity. Trees dry out pretty quick and
must be under shade cloth.

This is why I live in the Northeast (have all of my life) and not in Texas.

Sometimes I have to skip a day of watering because I'm away, and
with
inorganic soil that would not be possible.

Must be nice! I have an auto system and an ace 9 year old.

Well, my 17 year old covers for me when I'm gone often (usually down in Maryland
helping Anita water her trees!) but sometimes he's up visiting his mother.

Moisture levels
can be controlled with particle sizes and proportions; you could also vary the
ingredient- i.e. pumice. You may want to play around with a few seedlings just
for edification.

I'll pass.

I also use organic fertilizers through summer that add to
the organic load.

Now here's a switch. My llama manure pile has turned to a pile of dirt with weeds
growing out of it, so I'm gradually shoveling it in to the compost pile. I'm not
in the financial position to buy those boutique organic fertilizers, so I'm just
using chemical fertilizers--Miracle Gro (15-30-15) and Peters (20-20-20)
alternately. I see no difference in terms of growth over last year. Doesn't mean
I don't feel the organic helps, but I don't feel it is absolutely vital for
growth, at least in my specific situation. With organic material in the soil
already it doesn't seem to be as vital. When Anita has her horse up here I'll try
making manure tea from horse poop. (whinney)

BTW: Congrads. Glad to hear the Lord has blessed you.

Jim Stone

Thanks. In more ways than I can recount, and she's at the top of the list right
now.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37