Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 PM
John Dhom

Default [IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message
Hey Andrew,

IMO what's missing is better context for articles/books.

Authors have
significantly different philosophy's/culture. There's a pretty

radical
difference between container culture vs soil culture (in the

ground).

Yes and no. Plants grow as plants grow.

no? pondering... Ah, reference to phisology being same. Sure. However, the
implementation (mix, feeding, etc.) is radically different.

Further authors subscribe to various philosophies... ancient

bonsai purest,
new age bonsai experimentalist, horticulturally educated bonsai

enthusiast,
hortoculturally educated bonsai nurseryman, seed not speed, and

so on, and
so on. Wish there was a real list of these categories

I have a Deborah Koreshofs(sp?) book... good book...

Correction: Excellent book, but still not written for bonsai in
YOUR neighborhood, YOUR climate, YOUR water, with Miracle Grow
(or whatever) fertilizer.

My point is more about the difficulty in understanding context when you
start studying bonsai. I had read a bunch of articles, several books,
workshops, and newsgroup q&a before I had enough "critical mass" (knowledge)
to reconcile the all the seeming contridictions. Certainly Andrew has a
_much_ better foundation than moi, but I feel it's still applicable.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Wishing that
people would remember to snip all the unnecessary OLD stuff from
messages.

****

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: