Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Pond Diver

Default Hlep

nope, we purposely do not use pesticides in the backyard period due to our
dogs and the pond(s).

..
"SanDiegoJoe" wrote in message
"Benign Vanilla" wrote:

"Pond Diver" wrote in message
Help me.

My fish are dying at a rate of 2 - 3 per day. I don't know exactly

why.
But I suspect it is a combination of temperature and pH. (pH around

8.0)
How I don't know...

My pond is in full sun and can get quite warm above 80F easy. But now

the
pond is cooler sense the outdoor temps have become more tolerable.

Anyway,
I noticed I was loosing some fish. I tested the water and everything

came
back OK except the water hardness, and pH. Both were way high. like a

pH
of 8.0. Ammonia and nitrate levels were great. Hell, I've even

noticed
the
string algae that started to grow dropped deader than a hammer as

well!!!!
Something is in my pond water and its killing my fish.

Any ideas? Can temp cause a high pH level? Should I make my pond

deeper
because its in full sun and can get quite warm? The current depth is

18-24
inches and approx 250gal. I had about 20 goldfish averaging 3-6 inches

in
length. I'm down to about 8 and they're moaping around like the grim

reaper
is on their shoulders.

You say your params are OK. Is your ammonia zero? In warmer water,

you'll
tend to have less oxygen. In a small amount like 250 gallons, you are

more
suscetible to swings in chemistry, and the fish are more at risk. If you

are
losing 2-3 per day...how many do you have in 250 gallons?

Are there any outside issues? Chemicals being sprayed, etc?

Are the plants OK?

Are any other critters dieing?

BV.

If your parameters are good, I think we had a thread awhile back about
runoff into the pond containing pesticide. Any chance of that?

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons. Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.