Old 02-07-2004, 03:02 AM
bluegill phil

Default String Algae, HELP

Has anyone tried some of the native sucker fish. I found a place that
sells redhorse suckers. I hope to stock some when the pond ages enough
to allow it. In the wild Ive seen them in schools of 4 or 5. They look
like they could eatup some algae

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:40:52 GMT, "SVTKate"
wrote:

Hi folks, new to the group. Glad to find you!

Being fairly new to ponds, ok... REALLY new to ponds we recently bought our
home in TN that has a pond that is about 80-90 ft in diameter and I will
guess at 15-20 ft deep at the middle. no pumps or filters of any kind, fed
by run off from the rest of our property.

We have spent the last few days down there cleaning around the dam and
scooping out the string algae as we can reach it.

This afternoon we spoke with some local folks with ponds like ours and they
tell us that the best thing we can do is put in a couple of Israeli Carp.
Evidently they eat the stuff and within a couple of months we can expect to
have a nice clean pond.

Now mind you, our pond is a wild thing. It harbors three turtles, several
thousand frogs, had a couple of snakes try to make their homes (we evicted
them-so to speak) there and all sorts of wildlife come and go down there.

I don't know if this solution is acceptable to most of you as I am a first
time poster here.... but it was a thought :ŹD

Kate

.. .