Old 02-07-2004, 06:04 AM
KK

Default Peat Moss Substitute?

Good idea... I checked with the city and they do have an area for grass
clippings as well as leaves in the fall. Do I need to be concerned with
chemicals that may have been applied to lawns or will that compost out?

"John Watson" wrote in message

"KK" wrote in message ...
I'm new to the group and I'm wondering if anyone knows of another way to
loosen my hard soil rather than using Peat? I've tried sawdust, leaves,
etc
but they tend to make it even harder.

Peat works the best so far but I was hoping to find something a little
cheaper???

Check with the city or county, they chip and shread a lot wind/storm

damaged
limbs/trees, etc., and may have a lot of compost for distribution to the
citizens for free.

John