Old 02-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Franz Heymann

Default When to Start Pruning

"Joanne" wrote in message
"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Joanne
writes
3 years ago I planted a wiegela and a ribes. They are still

fairly
small;
the wiegela is approx 3 feet high, and the ribes approx 4 feet.

Do I
prune
them now, or should I wait until they're more mature in a year or

two?

With both these you prune them after they have flowered.
Cut back the stems that have flowered to vigorous young growths
developing lower down on the main stems and remove any weak

growth.

Thanks, Jane. The shrubs are still fairly small, so should I let

them grow
on for a year or so before I begin their annual pruning? Or do I

prune them
now even though they're still fairly young and small?

I would leave the plants you mentioned unpruned until they have almost
reached the space you have allotted them.
The don't *have* to be pruned. They are pruned only to keep them
within bounds.

Franz