Old 02-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Brian

Default seaside plant ID

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message

While at the beach I saw a very pretty wild plant growing in the
shingle/pebbles just above high water mark. It grows in a low (6") clump
of sprawling stems, and has glaucus blue ovate leaves about an inch
long, all the way along the stems. The flowers are at the tip, very
tiny, pink or blue.

I've never seen this before and have no idea what it is. Any

suggestions?

Janet.

---------------------
I wouldn't dare make a guess. As you know, plants growing above
high water mark can look very different compared with the same plant 100yds.
inland.
Were the flowers Composite, Actinomorphic/ Zygomorphic? How many petals~~
pentamerous? The stems~ were they rounded or squared~~ Glossy or hairy?
Can you make a reasonable presumption of the family?
Sorry to of no better assistance. Would be nice if it can be identified.
As a last resort I have sent specimens to Kew and have, with one
exception, received polite responses. The exception was, again a plant I
should have known, found growing on the high water line! But looked so
different and had been a garden 'throw out' and hence not wild!.
Regards Brian.