Old 02-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Grubber

Default pumps

"Rodney Pont" wrote in message
news:atcfzvasbuvgflfgrzfygqhx.i08cgj0.pminews@ihs1 ...
On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 18:37:38 GMT, grubber wrote:

OK, you guys just about had me convinced that my pump wasn't flowing at

all
so I did a test. I turned off the pump, bailed 20 five gallon buckets

out
of the settling pool the pump spills into and timed how long it took to

fill
back up (134 seconds). Based on that, it's doing ~2685 GPH. Works for

me.

As for the 'turns', there's about 150 degrees worth of gradual bend over

the
75' of 2" pipe. No UV, no filter, just a strainer on the intake to keep
fish out of the pipe.

Based on the charts, 1.5" pipe has about 3.4 times as much resistance as

2"
pipe. Also, this pipe is so stiff I don't think I could do 2 90 degree
turns in 8 feet. An 8 foot semi-circle, sure. Maybe we're talking about

different kind of pipe.

Sounds like you have good pipe :-)

I've got two types here, one is pretty solid and difficult to get tight
turns in and the other is far more flexible. It was the better one I
used for my little test and I was really surprised that it made so much
difference.

I didn't know of this when I put the flex pipe under the patio and
regret not using solid pipe. I hope my experience stops someone making
the same mistake. I want to replace it when I have the funds, I have
sufficient flow to the waterfall but it would be nice to have more :-)

Always nice to have more!