Old 02-07-2004, 03:02 PM
J Fortuna

Default red new leaf on Phal?

Thank you, Ray. I suspected that it wasn't something to worry about, but I
thought I would ask just in case -- since it is soooo red.
Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
Red new-growth leaves are common in phals that have red pigments

(anthocyanin) in them for flowering
red, purple, pink, etc. They tend to green up as they mature. Such

coloration is also seen in
those same plants when exposed to too much sunlight (I liken it to a tan),

or when exposed to
excessive cold in the winter - neither of which is likely in your

situation. Nothing to worry
about,

. . . . . . . . . . .
"J Fortuna" wrote in message
One of my Phals has a new leaf that is almost completely bright red (I

can't
see any green on it). This leaf is still fairly small, so I assume/hope

it
will turn green when it grows larger. This Phal is in a rather shady

place
(it may be getting a little too little light). This plant lost a couple
leaves earlier this year, and then grew this one new red leaf. Any ideas

on
what I could do to encourage it to grow a green leaf? Any ideas on what

may
have caused this leaf to be red?

Thanks,
Joanna

P.S.: Currently this seems to be the most problematic thing that any of

my
orchids is experiencing. Other than this all of them seem to be doing
exceedingly well. :-)