Old 02-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Jay

Default Garden Moisture Question

Here in Wisconsin we have had an extremely wet spring, flooding
everywhere. Now it's beginning to dry up. Parts of my garden were so
wet that a shovel full yielded dripping muck. My early peas, though I
got half a crop off of them, didn't put roots down below an inch. I
have been cultivating regularly and the top 4 or 5 inches is getting
quite dry, though if you go down any deeper the soil is still quite
wet. The veggies are starting to look dry, peas are very slowly
filling out, even radishes going slow. I also have tomatos, corn,
pepper, onions, beans, various hill plants, all growing slow, they
look like they need watering.

My question is, am I better off not watering and hopefully forcing
these plants to sink deeper roots, (clay soil, amended with sand and
compost)? Is it better to bite the bullet on fast growth right now in
favor of root delvelopment? Or should I water even though, as I said,
there is plenty of moisture 6 to 8 inches down? How best to recover
from the deluge we were subjected to for 6 weeks? Thanks for any
advice!