Old 02-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Just Molly

Default Lawn Madness!

"Les &/or Claire" wrote in message
Reading back through the posts over the last few months I'm still
puzzled by peoples need for a mono-culture lawn. I can think of nothing

more
boring in a garden than a "perfect" lawn. The amount of work, feed and
weedkiller it takes to produce a "bowling green" type lawn must be
horrendous. Not to mention the expense of turf, seed and water. To my

mind,
the plants, fungi and moss ( a mossy lawn in bare feet in the summer.....
delicious! ) that arrive if you just mow an area are much more

interesting,
beautiful to look at, harder wearing, better for the environment and more
practical than a luminous green, over fed, fragile, artificial lawn.
I would hate a garden without daises, dandelions and fairy rings.

Plus,
a mixture of plants in a lawn attract many beneficial insects and help to
preserve bio diversity, a thing much undervalued in our gardens.
So, throw away the moss killer, weedkiller, lawn feed, roller and raise
the blades on your mower a few inches. Let nature back in and let your

lawn
be part of nature, not apart from nature!

standing ovation