Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default ridiculousy small peppers

Frogleg wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 13:43:59 GMT, DigitalVinyl
wrote:

After my seedling disasters this year I had to buy pepper plants from
nurseries. I got a Thai dragon and two Jalapenos. All three started
producing the tiniest peppers. I just yanked ten RED cayennes. The
biggest one was about the size of the nail on my thumb!

You bought a Thai dragon and 2 jalapenos, and all three are producing
tiny Cayenne peppers? I don't understand.

SOrry, poor sentence structure. I went to go for a few jalapeno and a
few cayenne for dinner. I spotted all these miniscule bright red
cayennes and pulled them off. The minisule cayennes were all on the
lowest parts of the plant. The upper part has more normal sized 3 inch
cayennes.

SInce only the lower ones seem dwarfed it is not a variety/seed issue.
Although the cayennes I grew last year produced some 5-6 inch curled
cayennes. Nothing that size here--THAT I would expect is related to
the variety.

The jalapenos were also quite dwarfed, though none had reddened yet. I
was yanking 1 inch long jalapenos with those little cracks in the
skin, something I usually only see when they are ready to be picked.
However I couldn't find a nice sized jalapeno on either bush.
Something definitely stunted the plants. I'm hoping the jalapenos will
start producing fuller sized peppers now. I like to stuff mine.

If these are nursery plants, one possible explanation for smaller
peppers than you expect of whatever variety could be that they were
mislabeled. Even seeds can get mixed up, and peppers come in an
enormous range of sizes.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html