Old 03-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Larry Blanchard

Default Peat Moss Substitute?

In article , says...
I did a quick search for Perlite on the web and since it virtually lasts
forever it may be a good choice. I couldn't seem to find out however, the
amount needed per square foot... any idea what that would be?

If there's a riding stable or race track anywhere near, you've
got a great source of soil amendment. Cow manure is good too,
but not the processed stuff in the garden stores - that's a last
resort.

I even used goat manure once because there was a goat farm just
down the road. The farmer even brought over a wagon load and
spread it for me. I had to plow it in to avoid a lynching,
however, goat manure is odiferous :-).

You will have to kill, pull, or plow under a good crop of weeds
before they reseed, but that's just more soil amendment.

--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?