Old 03-07-2004, 01:03 AM
tuin man

Default Advice On Gardening

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
. 240.12...
Rotax100uk wrote in
s.com:

I have been taking on work which at the moment is with retired women
who cant look after their own gardens, i have been to price jobs with
trouble as to how long a job will take me to complete. I have been
charging £10 per hour which most of the retired people are having
trouble with because of there pensions.

As you can see what problem i am faced with, i was just wondering if
anyone hear can advice me what to do with my pricing?

I feel as if i am charging people a high rate of £10 per hour, but i
am not getting any profit out of this

Your time has a value. You have no duty to work for anyone who cannot
afford to pay you properly, and there are people out there who
can afford to.

I think it's worth repeating the above sound advice; You have no duty to
work for anyone who cannot afford to pay you properly.
As advice, it's right up there with the best.
This becomes all the more pertinent when you encounter those who will seek
to impose just such a "duty" (like as in a form of Tax), by attempting to
prevail upon you to award them special low rates on account of how they were
your first customer in the area. yadda yadda ya.
The truth is that they gave you the job because at £10 per hour they were on
to a good thing. They gave you the work because it was to their advantage.
If it wasn't, then they wouldn't have.
And as for the advantage created, which lead to the next customer and so on,
those customers in turn do not and will not provide you with work for the
sake of the first customer.
As with the first customer, you work for the subsequent customers because
it is to their advantage. If you could not deliver on that service, then
they wouldn't have you and it is therefore worth underlining for future
reference that subsequent repeat customers are because of YOUR efforts and
not some pathectic cheapskate who endevours to bleed you for even more than
you are already providing.
There are times when some sort of award scheme is appropriate. And I don't
just mean the kind of kickbacks awarded to architects etc.
I once had a customer who feigned a sense of insult because I would not give
him such special rates. He protested that if it wasn't for him... etc. But
there was a problem with his demands. He was and had never being the first
customer in any area, nor would any of his neighbours employ me as a favour
for him. They didn't much like him. He was a horrible man if ever there was
one. And so I delighted in telling him that I do have just such a pricing
policy for the right customer. I had specific, % commission incentives, for
such customers and therefore he too could be one . All he would have to do
is deliver on his claims. He never could. Mind you, that didn't stop him
demanding just such discounts the following years. (& me reminding him how
things really work!)
So, do rememeber;
You have no duty to work for anyone who cannot afford to pay you properly.
You have no duty to work for anyone who cannot afford to pay you properly
You have no duty to work for anyone who cannot afford to pay you properly.
It is not the accuracy of whatever financial honesty or pretence that is
presented to you that you most be most careful about. It is when it comes
loaded with attempts to impose their financial burden onto you, or in order
to impose an illusion of real "duty" upon you.
There are lots of two legged leeches out there. Watch out!
&
You have no duty to work for anyone who cannot afford to pay you
properly!!!!!

Patrick