Old 03-07-2004, 04:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Fishy behavior?

And if you did or didn't quarantine, was the pond's pH & temperature
similar to the water where they had been? If not, they're possibly
suffering from transport and transplant shock. Most come out of it, if
they're healthy, but it's nice to have started them in a Q-tank and
adjusted them slowly to your water parameters while you're checking their
health out. It's also a good idea to only add no more than 2 fish at a
time, so you don't overwhelm the filter. And yes, it is normal for them to
swim around normally those first few hours, and then become affected by the
conditions.

As is, for the next 2 weeks don't feed any more food than you were to the
lone fish, if water parameters start to register off, don't feed. Have
Amquel, or similar type product, that treats Ammonia available, and salt to
treat the nitrite. Do not do a water change without knowing your fresh
water's pH or ammonia level. Changing out water and adding in water with a
higher pH with ammonia showing in the pond can make the ammonia more toxic.
Treat the ammonia, than a water change is safe. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 19:52:08 GMT, wrote:

did you quarantine the new fish for at least a month before adding the new fish?
Ingrid

Goldlexus wrote:

We have one large 'resident' goldfish in our pond. We added 3 small koi,
3 small shumbkins (sp?) yesterday. All fish were swimming happliy all
day! Today, we can only see the resident goldfish! We do have rock all
along the sides where fish go, at this point I am assuming all the new
fish are hiding in the rocks, I hope. Is this normal? To play and swim
one day, go in hiding the next? If they are hiding how long will they hide?
Thanks!!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com