Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
tuin man

Default Advice On Gardening

"Kay" wrote in message
news
In article , tuin man aquachimp@aquac
himp.freeserve.co.uk writes

I think it's worth repeating the above sound advice; You have no duty to
work for anyone who cannot afford to pay you properly.

Absolutely! Though equally you can choose to if you wish.

As advice, it's right up there with the best.
This becomes all the more pertinent when you encounter those who will

seek
to impose just such a "duty" (like as in a form of Tax), by attempting to
prevail upon you to award them special low rates on account of how they

were
your first customer in the area. yadda yadda ya.
The truth is that they gave you the job because at £10 per hour they were

on
to a good thing. They gave you the work because it was to their

advantage.
If it wasn't, then they wouldn't have.

Not necessarily - I have given work to people starting up mainly to give
them a leg up.

Yes off course. I accept that entirely and it was an unfortunate ommision
for being so often all the more necessary.
I had sat here for a while before sending thinking... now what was that
other thing which was just as important. (-:
The same principle applies when choosing a quote, which is why the price
rank (top/middle/lowest quote) should not always be the deciding factor.

But again that is my own free will and I wouldn't expect
repayment. So maybe you are right - the special pleaders had ulterior
motives, it's your oldest customers who don't make a fuss who were the
ones who had an element of altruism when they first gave you work ;-)

True. And recipricol. Especially if they are also the ones who point out
that the "going rate" for gardening is unsustainable and do something about
it. Quite a contrast to the special pleaders (-:

Patrick