Old 03-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default A plant that smells like lemon?

In article ,
Kay wrote:
In article , Lazarus
Cooke writes
In article , Nick Maclaren
wrote:

Leaves rather like a softer willow? Then it is lemon verbena, and
it should root. Rounded, 'cushiony' leaves? Then it is lemon
balm, and is best propagated by division. But my guess is the
former.

My guess is the latter, as it's much more common (grows as a weed in my
garden). But I hope it's the former, as I think it's a wonderful,
wonderful plant, and makes the best herbal tea there is.

I'd have thought that if it were lemon balm, she wouldn't need to ask
about propagation! ;-)

That was one of the reasons I guessed the former :-) The other is
that lemon balm is semi-herbaceous.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.