Old 03-07-2004, 01:03 PM
Mary McHugh

Default Share your Garden's progress report!

DaveH wrote:

Your Garden? Dave

I'm zone 6 too. The tomatoes are incredible this year. It's a great
growing season. I've already picked (and eaten!) my first tomato which
was a Park's whopper. A second will be picked today. Then I'll have a
lull for a bit before the rest come in. I have Park's Whopper,
Brandywine, Fourth of July, San Marzano, Sun Sugar & Supersweet 100
cherry, German Johnson, and tons more that I've already forgotten.

In years past, I've had terrible luck with cukes but the few plants I
planted this year are growing like gangbusters. I have several that are
almost ready for picking.

My first square of corn is almost ready too -- Seneca Daybreak. Basil
is fantastic and the chiles and peppers are flowering profusely. Some
of the chiles are covered in green fruit.

Eggplant is the only thing not doing that well. It's just not growing.
The past few years I've neglected to add compost/manure to the garden
and it started to run low on nitrogen especially. Over this past
winter, I managed to get some manure where the tomatoes are, which
probably explains their phenomenal growth.

In other areas the plants started to yellow so I added some fast acting
urea from Espoma. That did the trick. For the eggplant tho, I just
added a general purpose veggie fertilizer. Maybe I should add some urea
to the eggplant too.

The weeds appear to be held at bay due to a combo of handweeding, black
plastic, and my hubby's anniversary present to me, a new rototiller
which I've been using to cultivate the uncovered path and any open areas.

For the most part, this is the best garden I've had in years!

Mary