Old 03-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Helene

Default Drowning houseplant - Thank you!

"madgardener" wrote in message ...
"Helene" wrote in message
om...
Hi madgardener,

Thank you for your kind post. As a matter of fact, I've been online
since 1995, but it's been a while since I checked any newsgroups. I
forgot about trolls and flamers. Even if Cereus-Validus was the
greatest expert on this earth, I killfiled him. Because it doesn't
matter how knowledgeable you are if you don't have a minimum of social
skills. Dry humour doesn't translate well on the net, especially when
talking to someone for the first time. That said, I probably shouldn't
have answered him, but like I said, it's been a while since I've been
to any newsgroups, and I forgot how useless answering to people like
that can be. I can only hope that he too will learn from this and just
shut up when he doesn't have anything nice to say.

Thanks for the book suggestion, I will check it out. I have a pretty
good book, but I left it at work, because it's where most of my plants
are. Therefore, I don't have the name of my big plant, I looked around
the net for an hour to find its name before posting, but I was
unsucessful. Maybe it's a scheflerra after all. I will check in my
book on Monday.

The only other plant I have at home is a pothos, and it's quite
beautiful. Oh, and I forgot to mention the cherry tomatoes I got a few
weeks ago. No red one as of yet, I live in Canada, and we didn't get
warm weather yet.

At work, I have several african violets, as well as an aphelandra, and
a staghorn fern. The fern is quite spectacular, although it's still
pretty young. I love looking at the new leaves growing, it's quite
amazing how this plant has two different types of leaves. La nature
fait bien les choses (nature does things well)

I wish I had a garden, but city living often doesn't allow it. So my
tomatoes are my only outdoor life at the moment.

I like hawortias too.

Have a good weekend too...

Helene in cold Canada

I tend to not sweat the petty things and not pet the sweaty things. Cherry
tomato's do nicely in containers on a balcony. No harm sugar. I tend to be
more empathetic and explainatory. I also tend to like almost everyone.
That's my nature. Just a caring Capricorn. I've been here since 1998 I
think is when I ventured onto the newsgroup. I like the people pretty much.
And there's always something to make me smile, cry or go hmmmmm.. have a
good weekend.
madgardener

Hi madgardener,

Well, lucky you for your thick skin, I'm not always able to ignore
someone who insults me. Yes, I admit it, I have a thin skin.

What I do not admit however, is to being a "genious with no
common-sense". I'm sorry, but your definition of common sense must be
different from mine. Case in point :

1) rocks we're covering the top soil of my plant simply because my cat
thought it was a nifty litter box. She never tried it again after the
rocks were in place. They are now removed and she apparently forgot
the plant's previous usage.

2) my plant was put outside as per my annual schedule. This plant has
been outside every summer since I have it, which is about 7 years. Its
spot has direct sunlight only in the morning for a few hours. I bring
the plant back inside at fall when the nights get below 15C. Every
year, it grows more beautiful during the summer and its growth slows
down the rest of the year. Maybe the plant has the 7 year itch...

3) it is a well known fat that something wet will dry when put in the
sun. So for a begginner, putting the plant outside as I usually do was
only logical...

So let's just agree for the record that there is no such thing as lack
of common sense in someone who just isn't knowledgeable...

And last, but not least :

4) how can someone not react when asking a question, is told that
she's a dimwit and should just give up?

I think from now on, when I have nothing nice to say, I will just shut
up. Here's to hoping that a certain someone will do the same and get
over it already. Happy 4th of July!

Cheers!

Helene in cold Quebec

And by the way, I have a law degree, but I'm not a lawyer. I have a
high level job at the government. So let's not judge anyone here and
make assomptions just for the fun of being mean.