Old 03-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Labelling

On 3 Jul 2004 05:44:21 -0700, Robert E A Harvey wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote
** anyone know if the modern computer printed equivalent lasts as long
equivalent lasts as long outside

The heat-set laminated labels are very good. In particular the Dymo
one with 3 layers, the clear layer over the top, is very resistent,
although the colours are not UV proof. They will fade in full sun,
but not as qickly as typed or inkjet printed labels.

I've used the Dymo 4000 labels on towed underwater equipment. Wrapped
round underwater equipment and covered with ordinary clear parcel tape
they easily survive being towed around for a year.

Dymo labels stick like limpets if you coat the substrate with
contact cement before applying them. I use dymo labels on
foot-long pieces of aluminum strip (1/8" x 1/2"), using contact
cement precoating on the aluminum, and in the ten or fifteen
years I've been doing this, only one has come off.

Yes, most dymo labels fade in time, but being embossed you can
still read them.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada