Old 03-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default lawn about 60 sq metres and quite flat - advice on best mower please

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 14:59:16 +0200, Jim wrote:

hello, I was here a short while ago quizzing about the perils of neglect but now
I must sort the lawn out.

I would welcome any opinion on the best kind (and size) of mower for this size
lawn based on suitability rather than price - it doesn't have to be
bargain-basement but I don't want the RR of mowers either. Basic maintenance
rather than a fine lawn and preferably with reasonably good grass-collection.

Get a manual reel mower with at least seven blades on the reel if
possible. Then use the machine faithfully on a regular schedule
and you may be very surprised how good your lawn becomes.

"Regular schedule" means at least twice a week when the grass is
actively growing, less often when it's not growing much.

I'm a confirmed believer in using manual reel mowers whenever
possible. No engine to act up, no cord to get in the way, a true
cutting action on the blades of grass, and they give you good
light exercise. And they're *quiet*.

If you *must* use a rotary mower of some sort, be sure to buy two
extra blades and the equipment to keep them knife-edge sharp.
Then make a practice of checking the edge before mowing to make
sure it is still sharp, and replacing it if it isn't.

This will prevent the ragged ends that a dull blade gives; your
lawn will look better and be healthier when cut cleanly.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada