Old 03-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Labelling

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

I find that if the plant dies then the label stays legible for years, but if
the plant lives then the label fades inside a year, making me wonder if
there is something that the plants give off that helps to fade the ink.

Personally I use "bog standard" HB pencils on plastic labels.

LOL. For anything I hope will be a permanent fixture, like azaleas or
clematis, I use a thin but indestructible copper label (sold by Lakeland
Plastics) indented by a biro. Anything else like seeds or cuttings gets
a plastic label and pencil. Pencil lasts far longer than "indelible"
marker pens ime.

However, I'm so mean and idle I use each plastic label four times
(both sides, both ends) before cleaning them off with a brillo pad and
starting again. Unfortunately, the plastic usually breaks during their
second lifespan :-(

Janet