Old 03-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Feeding Veg

"Jeannie" wrote in message
" Jeanne Stockdale" wrote in message
Our main veg patch has and is being very successful - due I am

sure to the
amount of manure and compost which has been dug into it over the

past
couple
of years.

A couple of months ago we rotavated a strip in our adjoining field

enable
us to extend our range of veg. Courgettes (which we had grown from

seed in
the greenhouse) are doing fine - having been planted with lots of

compost.
But the seeds we sowed - broad beans, french beans, carrots and

sweetcorn -
and "thinnings" of cabbages and cauliflowers are not doing so

well.

I am sure they need some sort of feed but not sure what. Hubby

scattered
chicken manure pellets around but that doesn't seem to have

helped.

Any suggestions?

Jeanne Stockdale

Feed beans with a solution of 2 tbsp Epsom Salts dissolved in a full
watering can.

Surely that is grossly too concentrated a Magnesium source? After all,
Mg is only a trace element.

Make some nettle or comfrey brew for the rest, sweetcorn and
brussels especially respond to that, but most plants will benefit

from
feeding with it.

If indeed the soil is impoverished, applying Growmore at the normally
recommended rate is a well-balanced fertiliser which additionally
probably contains all the trace elements you need, as unspecified
impurities.

Franz