Old 03-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Anonymous

Default Lawn is dying, why?

Eric wrote:
Hi,
My Lawn is dying, I'm in the Northwest US in eastern Washington State.
4 years ago it was in reasonable condition. Each year it got a little worse.

I cant figure out what is wrong, HELP! How do i fix it?

Here's some pics i took this evening

http://67.168.169.36/Lawn.html

Thanks,
Eric

I think your lawn is fescue. Have you had a relatively dry summer? In
general you need to overseed a fescue lawn every year (or perhaps every
other year in your part of the country). Where I live in the Southeast
we typically lose about 20% of our fescue every year due to heat stress
and our normally dry mid summers (though this year we have had a fairly
wet summer). One would think that fescue would be much happier in your
part of the country with your milder summer weather, though I would
think that occasional overseeding would still be required, especially if
it has been drier or hotter than normal. If this is the case, you'll
want to wait until September for overseeding. Visit a garden supply
store and check the back of the seed bags for overseed rates (lbs/1000
sqft). If you can afford to do an aeration (you can rent a power
aerator at Home Depot, or you can pay a lawn service to do it for you)
this would be a good time to do it as well. If you aerate, overseed,
and apply a winter fertilizer (make sure it does not have a pre-emergent
) you will give your seed the best chance of making a good lawn.

Good luck.