Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Steve \(Dart\)

Default Strange growth in filter ??

Well, now you guys have gotten my curiosity going. We do have a microscope
here, I may get it set up next time I got the filter set up. I had it open
again today and it was larger!!!!
Thanks,
I will let you know what I see.

" George" wrote in message

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 03:21:20 GMT, "Steve \(Dart\)"
wrote:

While cleaning the grunge out of my filter today, I noticed a strange

growth
on the inner side of my filter.
It looked like a tiny root system growing along the inner wall of the
filter. I touched it and some broke off.
What is this?
What does it indicate?

Bryazoa, most likely. It means that you are more observant than most
people. They are cool animals, but only grow in the dark, otherwise
algae will overwhelm them. Can you put that part of the filter in
some water and watch them with a magnifying lens? It's worth the
trouble.
--

- Charles
-

There are about 2 dozen freshwater bryozoans in the U.S. And not much is

known
about them. Might be a great chance to study them up close.