Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Baking Soda to lower pH

this is not a "good article", this person admits to not understanding what is
actually going on, so she is just repeating what "others" say (which is incorrect).
you always need to do an advanced google search designating .edu sites only, that
explains how things work.

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edud...er/Buffer.html
"The lungs remove excess CO2 from the blood (helping to raise the pH via shifts in
the equilibria in Equation 10), and the kidneys remove excess HCO3- from the body
(helping to lower the pH). "

So the bicarbonate system works to INCREASE the pH by releasing CO2 (and the lungs
blow it off) but to decreases the pH the kidneys are needed to remove HCO3- from the
body. Ingrid

"Grubber" wrote:

Here's a good article on the chemistry of baking soda as a buffer, either
raising or lowering ph

http://www.mnwgs.org/articles/EmptykH.htm

"But how can the bicarbonate act as a buffer to go the other way, lowering
the pH if it is too high? In that case the bicarbonate ion would give up its
hydrogen as an ion, thus adding acid, lowering pH, and becoming a carbonate
ion (C03). HCO3 = C03 + H bicarbonate carbonate + H acid."

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.