Old 03-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Susan G

Default Update: Desert Willow

Same situation for me; bought one for about $5 at Barton Springs Nursery in
the same timeframe as you. It was a stick maybe 2 feet tall. Within 2
years, it was a 10-12 foot tree.

Caution, though...while very drought-tolerant, pretty and fast-growing, it
also has weak wood and if not carefully pruned will lose limbs in a high
wind. It prefers good drainage and full sun; leafs up in late spring. It
also seeds freely, so you may end up with many more trees than you'd
planned.

"Tom Penick" wrote in message
After reading about them here, I purchased a Desert Willow stick from
Barton Springs nursery in 2000. It was about 6-8 inches tall and
about the diameter of a pencil. We've moved away since, but my
neighbor was nice enough to send a photo:

http://penickfamily.com/929/Tree.JPG

Dial-uppers beware, it's 864k.

Tom