Old 03-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Brian

Default Lawn Madness!

"Just Molly" wrote in message

"Les &/or Claire" wrote in message
Reading back through the posts over the last few months I'm still
puzzled by peoples need for a mono-culture lawn. I can think of nothing

more
boring in a garden than a "perfect" lawn. The amount of work, feed and
weedkiller it takes to produce a "bowling green" type lawn must be
horrendous. Not to mention the expense of turf, seed and water. To my

mind,
the plants, fungi and moss ( a mossy lawn in bare feet in the

summer.....
delicious! ) that arrive if you just mow an area are much more

interesting,
beautiful to look at, harder wearing, better for the environment and

more
practical than a luminous green, over fed, fragile, artificial lawn.
I would hate a garden without daises, dandelions and fairy rings.

Plus,
a mixture of plants in a lawn attract many beneficial insects and help

preserve bio diversity, a thing much undervalued in our gardens.
So, throw away the moss killer, weedkiller, lawn feed, roller and

raise
the blades on your mower a few inches. Let nature back in and let your

lawn
be part of nature, not apart from nature!

standing ovation

-------------------------------
I agree to some extent and do have some similar grassland~~
our field! The lawn is a different matter. It is totally weedless and cut
so low that if it should ever reach the height of the nap on a billiard
cloth one would be thinking of making hay! The work involved has not been
great and has only taken two hundred years, or so, to reach this
standard~and not all and every day, quite!. Weedkiller is never needed as
they either wouln't dare or, most likely, cannot find room to grow. No
fertilisers are used as the composted cuttings are replaced as a dressing.
Nothing is taken and hence no replacement is needed.
It can be walked on, at times, but without shoes and children or other
animals!.
Keeping it this perfect is a genuine PITN!!~~ and a little [about a
pinch of] Sodium Chloride needs to be added.
Best Wishes Brian.