Old 04-07-2004, 12:05 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Newbbie

it is under 200 gallons
green pea soup so bad.
this year no fish and same problem.
gets mostly shade.
I have tried organic chemicals
I would like to put in a couple of goldfish.

Hi Newbie,

When it went green did you remove all the water, scrubbing off the sides,
and refill?

Do you have a fountain, little waterfall or something similar, moving
water?

Here's what you do, IMHO, get one lily, and some various iris, these won't
cover the water surface too badly. Let it go green and don't touch it, the
pond has to cycle, be patient. The algae is feeding off the new water
nutrients. Do not remove algae growing on the sides, this is also part of
the filter and retards the growth of pea soup algae.

Once it clears, add 2 of the smallest fantail goldfish you can find. It may
go green again, but be patient.

Please report on your progress, and when you add the 2 fish, we'll give you
more instruction on what to watch for to keep them healthy. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a