Old 04-07-2004, 01:03 AM
Katra

Default @#$%$##@ Hornworms!!!!

In article ,
B.Server wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 04:27:13 -0500, Katra
wrote:

In article ,
"Dwayne" wrote:

So does a dusting of Sevan dust at 10 %.

Dwayne

I'd heard that even 10% sevin dust would have no effect on the larger
worms. They are just too damned big for it to do any good?

Also, Texas has been getting tons of rain. Sevin is useless when that
is going on.

But thanks anyway! :-)

K.

The rain has stopped, but the sevin still seems like a really bad idea
to me as it kills indiscriminately beneficials, pollinators, and
probably a few pests as well. Since my neighbors also keep bees, it
is out of the question on those grounds as well.

I also have a large number of spiders that spin beautiful webs every
night in my tomato vines, including one very large, very pregnant Yellow
Garden Spider. :-) Those are my favorite spiders!

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordL.../black_and_yel
low_argiope.htm

Huge and colorful, they spin VERY large webs. One of my few welcome
predators that is actually as diurnal as the Carolina Anoles. The vast
majority of my orb weavers are nocturnal.

Looks like I got all the worms by just hand picking with a flashlight
that night. Only took me about 1/2 hour. I've not seen any "fresh"
damage at this point.

As tempting as sevin is, I really don't want to kill my spiders. :-(
If that big yellow gal hangs out there long enough, odds are she might
catch a few of those moths. lol She is nearly big enough I think to
handle one.

Thanks everyone for the input!

K.

--