Old 04-07-2004, 07:02 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default Share your Garden's progress report!

Zone 6b/7 here. Definitely a productive spring. I only have about
150-175 sq ft of garden in ground and containers. Tomatoes, cukes,
squash & zucchini are the best growers so far.

Eggplant- like mary's mine is small and had a lot of yellowing in the
leaves. One eggplant is growing but still small enough to just rot off
if it wans't pollinated properly. I've been using a seaweed fertilizer
to help it out and the plant seems to be responding.

Spaghetti squash- Gi-normous plant. 8 foot tendrils. About 6-8 lbs of
squash ready for picking and no sign of it slowing down.

Crookneck squash- yellowing leaves, kinda brittle. Something happening
to it. I saw both a squash beetle and a squash borer on this plant.
ONly two squash so far.

Canteloupe. Smaller plant than I expected, and flowers
everywhere--nothing else. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Watermelon (sweet ice box) - tiny plants. May be getting over shadowed

Tomatoes-Sweet 100(4 ft tall), Big Beef(4 ft tall), Roma(puny and
weak-something happening with that one). Green Tomatoes on all. I
thought the Sweets would ripen first but I think the beefsteak may
beat it out. My salt shaker is just waiting...

Peppers- Jalapenos, thai dragon, anaheim(green chile), bell wonder.
The bells are not leafing up much. Thai has tons of peppers. Jalapenos
are ready to be eaten--a good two dozen already. However Jalapeno &
thai suffered from something--peppers have been very small.

Horseradish-- did *NOT* know how big this plant gets. My friend had
4foot tall leaves in her garden. I will have to move this for next
year.

Broccoli & Cauliflower-planted a bit late but finishing first heads of
broccoli and started to harvest cauliflower.

Green beans(kentucky blue) & red kidney beans aren't getting as tall
as I expected. I think they aren't getting enough sun. Nearby Tomatoes
and cukes grew faster and taller than expected. A few green beans are
growing.

Cukes-Kirby-5+ pounds so far. Another 2-3 cukes a day. I'm ready to
try my first batch of pickling.

Corn, first planting is growing cobs. Hoping pollination went okay.
One stalk on end is browning. Another has tassels jammed. Another has
aphids. Last year my corn didn't make it this far. Second & third rows
are growing but center of the bed isn't getting enough of
something--stalks are running shorter there.

I'm out of lettuces. SHould have started another planting before. I'm
about to seed some baby bear pumpkins for October.

With the exception of basil, sage & oregano I screwed up my herbs.
Basil bushes are huge and smell wonderful. I managed to only get one
cumin plant to make it to seed. The dill that sprouted in between the
patio cracks from last years' volunteers is better than any I planted.
The others are still diminutive, some browing.

Onions and garlic are okay, but timing was wrong. I will probably
harvest as greens and replant for bulbs to harvest next summer.

Flowers from plants are doing great, and those started from seeed(too
late) are finally beging to take off. My seed starting was a bust this
year. What I did get to grow was during later attempts and I didn't
get the jump on the season I wanted.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
2nd year gardener
http://members.aol.com/DigitalVinyl66/Garden2004.html