Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Changed Header Mainly Succulents

Altmans is strictly wholesale now. They appear to be in the process of
updating their website at the moment.

http://www.altmansplants.com/

Check out the Cactus Mall for your cactus & succulents jones.

http://www.cactus-mall.com/

"Skirmishd" wrote in message

Why did you tag on to this loser of a thread?

Darling, didn't you do that, too?

You should start a completely new one of your own.

Yeah, I did, hon.

At least change the subject heading.

I did that, too.

I would not be the one to give advice about rose bushes because they are
very high maintenance and take up space that can be used to grow much

more
interesting plants. If it were up to me, I would yank out all those

cabbages
on thorny sticks or at least severely cut them back. They flower on the

new
growth, you know. Ten are far too many for a small yard.

These came with the house. Some of the flowers are very pretty, like the
lavender ones.

Herbs are by far the more practical to grow but I much prefer succulents

as
garden subjects.

The climate here doesn't allow me to grow succulents outside except for

summer
save for some hens and chickens in the front. We have one large maple in

the
front lawn and one large maybe mimosa in the back. It is hard to plant

many
plants here now. I have had luck with certain groundcovers. Vinca, sweet
woodruff, moneywort. Oh yeah, and weeds.

Had any of you dealt with Altman's Specialty Plants?
They were a succulent and cactus dealer and were sold to Scotty's and I

can't
find them online. I got a lot of rare plants from them in the past, I

mean the
80's.

I don't have many fancy succulent plants now. I do have some "elephant

plants"
from a grower close by who sells plants cheap. Also from there a

variegated
jade. I also have an old "fingers" jade. A small, gem-like haworthia. A
planter with a variety of crassula, rhipsalis and other items in the pot.

Oh,
that one called drunkard's dream, I think it's called Hatiora

Salicorniodes or
something. I love the succulents best but don't have the best southern

exposure
for them on my sills. I also liked the plants with caudexes or bulbs.

That's
why I love the bowiea and also the pregnant onion.