Old 04-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Stan Goodman

Default worm food?

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 03:30:40 UTC, (Zach) opined:
The microorganisms break down the organic matter, the worms eat the
microorganisms. Seems reasonable. But if that's the case, why would
worm composting be any faster than regular composting? In regular
composting, those same microorganisms break the organic matter down
into humus, right? Obviously I'm no rocket scientist, but how does
adding a second stage to the process increase the overall rate?

The worms don't just sit there, they are quite mobile, wiggling about. This
aerates the material, and the presence of oxygen encourages the growth of
aerobic bacteria. That can be expected to accelerate composting.

It also inhibits the growth of anaerobic bacteria. These are responsible for
foul odors. My compost heap doesn't smell at all -- which is a good sign of
a healthy compost heap.

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message news:uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-xd9qvlrRjiJT@poblano...
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:10:45 UTC,
(Zach) opined:
In worm composting, can you feed the worms garden refuse (leaves from
radishes, clippings, tomato vines after they're ready to be chucked,
etc.)?

In fact, the worms don't eat any of those things. The process of rotting is
performed by microorganisms; what the worms eat is the microorganisms, not
the feed. If you feed the compost heap with a reasonable mix of nitrogen and
carbon (i.e. green material and dead vegetable material), the worms will be
happy. As you say, the heap mustn't get too hot, and much of the heat is the
result of the rotting, rather than the ambient temperature.

Also, looking around, I saw indications that worms get stressed at 85F
or higher. I live in Hilo, Hawaii, and it gets up there a bit. Are

Summer afternoon termperatures here are often well above that, occasionally
reaching 104F, and my worms have been happy for years. I feed the heap they
live in gradually; the heap is actually in a large container, kept in the
shade; the heap must be kept moist. An alternative to gradual feeding is to
let the material rot well first, turning it often, until it no longer
generates heat, and only then to introduce the worms.

there breeds of composting worms that would do well here? I tried
looking for info at the hawaii.gardening group, but couldn't find much
there (which kind of hinted that maybe it can't be done here).

Do a Google search on 'vermiculture'. You'll find lots of papers, FAQs, and
the like.

thanks,

-Zach

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendum.

To send me email, please replace the CAPITAL_LETTERS with "sig". Please do
not send me HTML-formatted messages.Please do not send me attachments
without telling me beforehand.