Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Brian

Default Stinging nettles?

"Bob Smith" wrote in message

ChrisC wrote in message

Do stinging nettles seed? I would quite like to grow them for tea and
soup purposes. Or would it be advisable to go dig some up at the local
common?
--

What do nettles taste like? I assume they must be realy good to want them
in your garden.

Bob

Young nettles taste similar to spinach. They do need a good rich
soil to thrive. I always knew they had been used for their fibres but was
surprised to hear on the television this week that 1st World war knapsacks
were made from these fibres. Some texts state that they were introduced by
the Romans.
It has been shown that this is the very first plant that chidren
recognise~~The sting probably!
Regards Brian..
" Nettles don't sting Mondays" M Miller.