Old 04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Kay

Default Stinging nettles?

In article , ChrisC ?@?.?
writes
Do stinging nettles seed? I would quite like to grow them for tea and
soup purposes. Or would it be advisable to go dig some up at the local
common?

There are two common species of nettle, both of which seed. The annual
nettle spreads almost entirely by seed - this is the one you usually
find when you are hand weeding a row of seedlings.

The 4ft monster has separate male and female flowers and I think they're
on separate plants, and the main way this spreads is by runners. Your
quickest bet would be to yank up some roots and transplant.

However, you are not allowed to uproot any wild plant without the
permission of the landowner (and some have stricter protection). So you
need to ask before you do. Even common land has an owner.
--
Kay