Old 04-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Kay

Default cleaning waterbutt

In article , Rod rodcraddoc
writes
On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:19:25 +0100, "Amber Ormerod"
wrote:

I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what to
clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Just ordinary scrubbing is fine, we do ours when the tanks are nearly
empty after a dry spell. It will stay clearer if you cover it. I don't
use collected rainwater for seedlings in the greenhouse, too many
fungal spores etc in it. It's fine for everything else.

My water butt is covered. I use it for seedlings and have no trouble -
of all the things that kill my seedlings (1), fungal infection isn't one
of them. I put that down to having a large greenhouse with a lot of
space for air circulation

(1) me forgetting to water, snails and slugs, and tonight -
caterpillars!
--
Kay