Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Jim Carlock

Default Ant control

Yes, it is true. I poured some really old grits onto a train of
ants and they disappeared for a couple days. Then the next
week they decided to put their hill in a very convenient spot
to pour the grits onto. I've not seen the ants since.

Then there was another set of large wood eating ants I found
eating an old rotten wood stump left from a chopped down
tree, and I poured the grits onto that stump and I haven't seen
ants there in a couple weeks now. It used to be filled with the
big kind of ant that gets bigger than a centimeter in length.

I don't know about the iodized salt.

I found the information about the grits at the following:
http://ms.essortment.com/pestcontrolgar_reor.htm

I've seen citrus oil commonly on that page and a couple other
places mentioned, to control ants as well as some other pests.

Garlic seems to be useful for certain things, although I don't
remember what. I typically find information by doing searches
on google, using "organic" as one of the keywords when looking
for information on pest control. I might have to read and go
through twenty sites but from that I am starting to get a pretty
good feel for things.

Iodized salt seems to be recommended at the following page
along with a whole bunch of other methods. I've heard skin-so-
soft from Avon in a 25%/75% mixture with water helps. And
citrus spray (oil) seems to be recommended as well.

http://www.tipztime.com/area/bugtipz/fleas.html

Also, soap (either shampoo or dish detergent) is supposed to
kill cockroaches. A friend across the street told me about the
soap a couple weeks ago but I haven't tried it. He indicated
that it kills a roach instantly.

Hope that helps.

--
Jim Carlock
http://www.microcosmotalk.com/

"Amy D" wrote:

Jim Carlock wrote:

The hominy grits you buy at the grocery store will kill all
sorts of ants when they injest it. Pour some grits directly
on the ant pile. They all should disappear by the next day.

Seems to be safe for the garden and very cheap.

Is this true??? My husband heard this and told me this and I've kept
telling him he is nuts.

I also had someone here in southern Alabama tell me to sprinkle iodized
table salt around my house to keep out fleas....

amy