Old 05-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Amy D

Default Ant control

Jim Carlock wrote:

Yes, it is true. I poured some really old grits onto a train of
ants and they disappeared for a couple days. Then the next
week they decided to put their hill in a very convenient spot
to pour the grits onto. I've not seen the ants since.

Then there was another set of large wood eating ants I found
eating an old rotten wood stump left from a chopped down
tree, and I poured the grits onto that stump and I haven't seen
ants there in a couple weeks now. It used to be filled with the
big kind of ant that gets bigger than a centimeter in length.

I don't know about the iodized salt.

I found the information about the grits at the following:
http://ms.essortment.com/pestcontrolgar_reor.htm

I've seen citrus oil commonly on that page and a couple other
places mentioned, to control ants as well as some other pests.

Garlic seems to be useful for certain things, although I don't
remember what. I typically find information by doing searches
on google, using "organic" as one of the keywords when looking
for information on pest control. I might have to read and go
through twenty sites but from that I am starting to get a pretty
good feel for things.

Iodized salt seems to be recommended at the following page
along with a whole bunch of other methods. I've heard skin-so-
soft from Avon in a 25%/75% mixture with water helps. And
citrus spray (oil) seems to be recommended as well.

http://www.tipztime.com/area/bugtipz/fleas.html

Also, soap (either shampoo or dish detergent) is supposed to
kill cockroaches. A friend across the street told me about the
soap a couple weeks ago but I haven't tried it. He indicated
that it kills a roach instantly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'll haul out the grits. I was afraid my neighbors would
think I was nuts! We're "newly" southern.

I hadn't checked out Skin So Soft -- my mom was a big Avon lady and we
used SSS for everything.....thanks for the link!

amy