Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Charles

Default Strange growth in filter ??

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 02:21:18 -0400, Webfoot wrote:

Interesting! I went on a fossil hunt two weeks ago at Rock Glen
Ontario Canada. I collected quite a few Devonian age fossils (365
million years ago). Searching through the Internet tonight I
identified one fossil as Bryozoa. An hour ago I never heard of it now
I have a Devonian age fossil of it and Steve has it in his filter.
Looks a lot like fan coral bit is's not. See;
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bryozoa/bryozoafr.html

Just thought it was strange

Russell Mack

I used to not be able to spell bryazologist, and now I don't know if
it is even a word.

Somewhere in my reading about these I remember that they are the most
common cause of fouling on boats. They are apparently quite common,
just nobody notices them very often.

I had some fairly good pictures of mine, somewhere on one of the hard
disks, I hope, but I haven't been able to find them. Maybe it's time
to see if my colony is still going. Mine showed up in an aquarium
filter, I got rid of them the first few times I found them, then I
have tried to keep the colony alive since then.
--

- Charles
-