Old 05-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Phisherman

Default Koi or Goldfish???

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 20:44:15 -0400, "Ed J" edj22NO
wrote:

I have a farm pond about 75 feet in diameter. I had largemouth bass and
bluegills
in it till this past winter. There was a major die-off and I have not seen
any fish this
season. I am assuming that the water is fouled with low oxygen at the
bottom (8 ft)
and the fish died off there when there was about 2 foot of ice this past
winter.
I have a lot of algae floating on the surface and a LOT of bullfrogs this
year. I
ran a water pump and put the intake hose at the bottom of the pond. The
water
was pretty foul smelling coming out of the pump.

I will probably have to get an air pump and run a air hose to the bottom to
circulate the water and aerate it. After that, I would like to get some
type
of goldfish. I have seen most Koi are rather expensive. The 'common'
goldfish is very cheap in comparison.

What is the difference between the 'common' goldfish and koi?

They are both in the carp family. Feeder goldfish at 10 cents apiece
will get large and spawn. I would add these and some rosy red minnows
to the pond to keep the mosquito population down. Koi will grow and
spawn too, but I have not found these under $5 each.