Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 PM
George

Default Koi and Catfish

"MIstatee" wrote in message
m...
I have a pond full of koi (12) and one black catfish. Will this black
catfish eat the Koi babies? Is this black catfish harmful to the koi?

I have an albino channel cat (about 2 feet long). I have 8 goldfish and 4 koi.
I also have about 8 baby goldfish (about 1 1/2 inches long). The catfish hasn't
eaten any of them. But then, I keep him well fed, and the babies have lots of
hiding places ( I have lots of rocks in the pond set up as part of the
waterfall, and for shelter)

http://bellsouthpwp.net/r/o/rockcat/pond/pond.htm

That is not to say that yours won't eat the babies. Remember, in the wild they
are top predators. But if you keep it well fed, and provide shelter for the
fry/babies, at least some of them will survive. Remember, when they are very
small, even the adult koi will eat them.