Old 06-07-2004, 10:02 AM
George

Default Strange growth in filter ??

"Charles" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 04:22:42 -0400, " George"
wrote:

"Ka30P" wrote in message

For those of us who just love to get down and stick our noses
in the pond and see who has shown up...
Try Ron's Pond Scum page
http://www.silkentent.com/gus1911/RonPond.htm

kathy :-)
algae primer

Interesting. Do you know anyone who has similar images of freshwater
bryozoans?

google knows of a few:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...yozoan&spell=1

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...97b/kenj1.html

This one may not be freshwater:
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted_sites/ib...s/bryozoa.html

The ones I had I decide were plumatella, but there was a lot of
ignorance involved in my guesswork.

--

- Charles
-

Thanks. The reason I asked is that I am a geologist and have studied and
published on fossil crinoids, and in the process, have learned a lot about
living echinoderms (I have a huge green brittle star in my marine tank). I have
collected not a few fossil bryozoans, but until recently, have never seen a
living one (I believe a have a freshwater colony growing in my pre-filter in my
pond, along the inner wall. So,naturally I want to try to identify the buggers,
and try to learn a little about them. So far, I have been able to identify
them.