Old 06-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Andrew G

Default How many of you hord/keep bonsai?

Thanks for everyones response.
It made for some interesting reading and certainly different views on the
subject.
I guess what it comes down to for me is while I haven't suffered any
fatalities yet with bonsai, it may happen, so I am accounting for that in a
way.
Also, looking at what I have styled/created over 5yrs and it looks good, and
will only get better with age.
I'd have trouble in actually purchasing a completed bonsai, as I didn't
create it. I know, getting one from the wild is similar, but at least nature
did it, not someone else, and I could keep the style going.
My hobby for the past 12yrs (since I was 16) was doing up old Aussie cars
(V8'S). While I did get satisfaction from it, I kept them for a year or so
after finishing them, then sold them. Unlike bonsai, I couldn't keep every
car I created. Although relatively new at it, bonsai is much more
satisfying, cheaper, and relaxing than cars, and at least 10, 20, 30 yrs
down the track I will still have them, be enjoying them, working on them
stress free and for a lot less cost than a car. Modifying cars has totally
grinded to a halt with me.
Getting back on track, at the very least I may trade bonsai, but never sell
them, and possibly if my daughter (who is only 14months old) finds it
interesting, pass them on to her.
Maybe too, hording is in my genes. As my Father says "keep that, it'll come
in handy one day". He's a mechanic, so you can imagine what his shed is
like.
Funny too, I went back to work today, after holidays, and a job that needed
doing was removing/demolishing a garden. There were plenty of Banksia
"Honeypots" that had not grown much at all since being planted, yet trunks
had thickened, root system small, due to poor conditions. And yep, 3 of the
best looking have made it to my backyard, into training pots :-)
Thanks again for the replies