Old 06-07-2004, 05:05 PM
wendy7

Default ok this is creepy (speaking of bugs...)

Hello & welcome Janet,
First off, we have to send this little back flipping diver to the
Olympics! *G*
It seems the little bugs are coming from one or some of your plants.
Have you aquired a new plant lately? If so it's probably the infested
one.
(This is why we should isolate new plants, especially when using trays)
Wish I could help with more info but maybe someone else will.
--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

janet_a wrote:
so i seem to have nymphs in some of my humidity trays.... they're
teeny tiny black things doing that classic black-flip swimming move.
they're smaller than the hyphen in the previous sentence. they
appeared *after* i washed the trays (they're pyrex baking dishes--they
go in the dishwasher). i keep dumping them and rinsing them, but the
bugs still appear. (fewer in number, but they're there.) i washed all
the plastic pipe fittings and hardware cloth boxes that the plants sit
on in the trays too; clearly some eggs got laid someplace. anyone
seen this before? how do fungus gnats propagate? i can't think of
any aquatic-type bugs that have been hanging around the orchids (which
are on the window seat in my living room--controlled environment).

thoughts? i'd rather not have to dump any major chemicals in the
trays... thx!

--j_a