Old 06-07-2004, 08:02 PM
Beecrofter

Default Peat Moss Substitute?

"KK" wrote in message ...
Mixed with the clay soil it almost turns it "brick" hard.

I put close to a pickup load on a 30x20 foot area and it became really hard
for the rest of that year. The following year it didn't seem as bad but
still pretty hard. I added more sawdust that year and it got hard again so I
quit using the sawdust. To some extent I noticed a similar action with
leaves (not shredded) tilled in but the peat really tends to do the trick.
This fall I may work 5 0r 6 of the larger bundles of peat in but the reason
for the post was to find something a little cheaper.

About 10 or 20 more pickup loads and you will be on the right track.
Manure, grass clippings , leaves and leaf mold, municipal compost,
mushroom compost, woodchips, whatever is free and local is best, free
local and delivered is even better!