Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Sacha

Default No flowers on Hydrangeas

On 6/7/04 8:36 pm, in article ,
"Colin Lougher" wrote:

I have followed this Newsgroup for a while and have found lots of useful
tips but this is my first posting.

I planted three small Hydrangeas a couple of years ago. They have never
flowered properly; what is going wrong?
In the Autumn when they go woody I prune them quite hard. In the spring they
appear healthy and have plenty of foliage but no flower heads.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

That's your problem. AFTER they have flowered take out ONLY the stems you
don't want, either because they cross and rub others or because they block a
path, for example. When shaping a Hydrangea as you want it to be, do it
over a couple of years, successively, taking out a stem here and there each
year so you still get flowers. Trim it all back and you'll get no flowers
at all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk